24/08/1999 00:00 Indexed under: Salaried employment
In 08/1999, on the occasion of my documentary research activities, which I was carrying out from home, where I had set up my « second office », I came across a job offer for a « Localization Project Manager » position to be filled in Los Angeles, as I was browsing through job descriptions as part of the benchmarking
phase of my audit. The offer was posted on the website of Bowne Global Solutions
, a subsidiary of the Bowne & Co.
company, headquartered in New York.
Since I was curious about the perception of my own profile in this area, I decided to email an application, to which the recruiting agent answered that the position had just been filled, but that my resume would be kept for other such opportunities. Indeed, I was contacted in 09/1999 by the offices of Los Angeles, Paris and Munich for a similar position in Munich, with a possible future relocation to the United States. From « let's see what happens », I quickly migrated over to « why not? ».
The recruitment process by videoconference was finalized in 12/1999, with a new job initially supposed to start in 02/2000, postponed to 04/2000.Continue reading
Audit of the translation perimeter, until early 2000:
- Pre-audit pertaining to translation management reengineering (at Group level).
- PM focus on transversal auditing: information and knowledge management, benchmarking, counseling, training.
- Presentation of related results to the CEO.
Within the context of this project:
- I expanded my knowledge of business computing: MS Windows NT4 (Office 97, Outlook Express); IBM Lotus Smart Suite Millennium, Lotus Notes 4.6.
- I studied myself into Computer Assisted Translation and software localization: TRADOS Translator's Workbench, IBM TranslationManager, ATRIL Déjà Vu, STAR Transit.
- In 08/1999, I took part in the XVth World Congress of the International Federation of Translators in Belgium.
- In 09/1999, I participated in an advanced training seminar on Computer Assisted Translation, organized by the Department of Applied Linguistics of Saarland University.